Chapter 10 – Series Landy

REFURBISHMENT OF OUR SERIES lll

Refurbishment 2015

 It’s been 5 years since we bought our series and during this time its been fairly trouble free and so much fun. The maintenance and gradual refurbishment has been going along as a running project up to now, but this year I took the decision to miss out the annual MOT take her off the road.

In The garage and ready for a well overdue refurbishment, I’m not doing a complete rebuild or restore here; I’m simply going to strip her down replace and repair anything that’s amiss and then put her back together hopefully back on the road for the spring and maybe a few shows: She was such an original Landy bare any normal fixtures such as door tops etc. Personally knowing her history was an added bonus. I would like her kept as original as possible for as long as possible I’m still out on a decision to paint when done here I’m quite a fan of patina on an honest landy.

   There’s a gap in this timeline as sadly my mum passed away just after I got started and so its been a while before I felt much like getting back at it. Also, I’m not in good health and so my work tends to be in spates energy go for it followed by knackered and having a rest lol. Not complaining for a moment tiss just life and I’m glad I can do the bits I do it’s all good for the grey matter and the physical exercise.
   As with all events of this type until you start removing stuff and looking deeper you just don’t know what you’re going to find but that’s part of the fun for me and the enjoyment of owning and looking after a Landrover. The following chapters will hopefully be mostly based on the progress, findings and subsequent work was done to resolve any issues found.
I’m not a mechanic although I have had some training I only do stuff I know I can do anything beyond my limits; I never hesitate in giving someone with experience a shout, then I know its done right and I get to learn a bit more in the process. So what you get from this is up to you its by no means an instructional blog of any sort, if I ever come across any decent videos on tube relating to work I’m doing Ill happily share the links here, hopefully the blog will be of use to someone, as always if anyone has any suggestions or alternative ways of doing stuff give us a shout as its always interesting and educational.

   Decided to start with the front end especially as the main goals are up front anyway: Footwells, Steering box and relay and Inspections of Chassis, bulkhead, engine mountings, engine and gearbox seals and a general engine bay clean up as the wings are off there are a few things Ill needless do regardless whilst I have the opportunity.

Battery disconnected and removed prior to anything; Ill leave fuel in place for now but will drain and remove later if I end up working around that area further down the road, I’ve got no leaks in the system so, for now, I’m happy to work around it. Bonnet off grill and bumper plate removed.

First and already I’ve found my first casualty in the chassis strut to bumper, common here and only small so one to patch up with a small plate, good to catch it early and sort than let it fester.

Next up removal of the wing starting with the driver’s side:

1/ There four bolts connecting the wing to the central grill panel.
2/ Two down on the chassis.
3/ One sometimes overlooked is a brace to the chassis.
4/ At he rear of the wing two bolts at the top to the bulkhead.
5/ Then four captive bolts connect the wing vertically to the bulkhead.6/ Two more at the bottom attached to the seal


Note: You only need to remove two of the four bolts the top and bottom
the centre two bolts just loosen off to release the wing.
The wing has slots which slide over the bolts rather than a direct fit;
Lift wing up and away from the vehicle to slide it out from the fixings.
handy for a foothold when reattaching later.

Once I started to remove the mud and oil build up I have to say I was delighted at what I found. This side of the vehicle the chassis and bulkhead are in really good condition and solid with no repairs required, I will clean all this up properly and hopefully, nothing else will become apparent. The footwell now clearly visible and much easier to get to. Next, I disconnected the brake and clutch lines and removed them from the footwell ensure you seal or cover the hose ends and female connections on brake and clutch lines so as to avoid damp or dust entering.

Footwells corroded to be replaced
Foot controls removed steering box cleaned
Note: The foot controls clutch and brake are bolted into captive nuts and the bolts are only removable from inside the vehicle, don’t forget to release the return springs on both the clutch and brake pedals.
Once the foot controls are removed, including the throttle pedal and control rod I can begin to drill out the spot welds that attach the footwells to the bulkhead; this weld is the standard for landrover, its quite frankly probably the best weld for the job but access and the modern TIG or MIG welders now allow us to affix new panels or patch’s more easily and less cumbersome than the large spot-weld arcs. Once that they are drilled through I can then separate the footwell from the bulkhead with a screwdriver or chisel and of course the obligatory hammer.
Note: Sometimes running over the joints with a bit of abrasive will make the spot welds more visible so you don’t miss any.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.